Lurgan-Ancestry

A guide to trace your ancestors from Lurgan, County Armagh and from the County of Armagh

Lurgan Golf Club – Annual Meeting 1897

Lurgan Golf Club – Annual Meeting.

The Belfast News-Letter,
Monday, November 29,
1897.

 

The fourth annual general meeting of the Lurgan Golf Club was held in the Town Hall on the 27th inst. The chair was occupied by Mr. James Malcolm, D.L., president of the club, and there was a large and representative attendance of local and country members. The chairman briefly opened the proceedings, and called upon Mr. T. G. Menary, honorary secretary, to read the report of the council for the past year. In their report, the council expressed pleasure in being in a position to state that the interest taken in the club during the past twelve months had exceeded the records of all previous years. This satisfactory result was partially attributed to the closing of the links during the summer months, which brought within a comparatively short period a succession of interesting competitions for valuable prizes. The council thanked the numerous donors of prizes, and hoped that the practical interest taken in the club would find similar expression during the present season. The agreement under which they held the links in Lurgan Demesne had been renewed, and the further improvement of the course and the greens was contemplated. From a brief review of the business of the year, it appeared that the annual open meeting in April had attracted a large entry, including some of the best players in Ulster.

Notwithstanding this, the stroke competition was won by a local golfer, Mr. Bruce, and the hole competition for the Malcolm Challenge Cup, which aroused very considerable interest, was won by Mr. Parke. The runner-up was Mr. H. G. MacGeagh, the holder of the trophy for the previous two years, and his defeat secured this valuable cup to the club for some years. Mr. Parke also won the captain’s prize in a competition which created much excitement among local players. During the year a caddies’ shelter and bicycle shed had been erected at the clubhouse, and though several other extraordinary expenses had to be met, the club was still in a healthy financial condition.

Mr. Thomas Faloon, honorary treasurer, next submitted the annual balance-sheet, from which it appeared that the total income of £121 5s 3d had been sufficient to meet all expenses, and leave the very comfortable balance of £22 3s 2d to be carried forward to next year’s account. The chairman moved the adoption of the council’s report and treasurer’s balance-sheet. Mr. H. G. MacGeagh seconded the motion, which was passed unanimously.

The following officers were elected for the ensuing year : – Captain, Mr. Thomas Faloon; treasurer, Mr. G. W. Greer; secretaries, Mr. N. G. Leeper and Mr. T. G. Menary. Messrs. H. A. Perdue, James Gorman, and A. W. Stevenson, retiring members of council, were re-elected, and Mr. H. B. Bruce was elected to fill the vacancy created by the resignation of Mr. McFadden, Portadown. A cordial vote of thanks to the chairman concluded the proceedings.

 

This Newspaper Article has been reproduced by the kind permission of the British Newspaper Archive Limited, (www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk).

Copyright © 2010 - 2015 Lurgan-Ancestry. All Rights Reserved.